Thursday, February 28, 2008

Is anyone besides Fiona and Siobhan out there?

Ladies, we suddenly have this great forum to talk about our lives! Where are you?

I am reading and thinking about so many issues right now that I can't seem to focus on one topic. That has always been my challenge, unfortunately. No appreciation for the "Renaissance Woman." Why is it that women like me (and Fiona), interested in a whole world of topics, don't feel "successful?" Is it true that because I am not working one full time job, one rewarded by health insurance, that I am not succeeding? Women are not rewarded for living a life of variety, complexity and discovery.
We are rewarded for being part of a couple, making a family complete by caring for others: cooking, childcare, etc. After those jobs are "done" we become crones. If our mates haven't sniffed the pheromones of other women and departed it is a rare occurrence. (Not that they are greatly missed, mind you.) Serial monogamy is as natural for humans as eating different food. As Margaret Mead said, "Fathers are biological necessities, but social accidents. "

My quandry is where do we crones go next in the greater scheme of things? What lies ahead for us besides accepting the inevitable? I feel very excited and charged up by our future possiblities! We still have time to change the world, don't we?

It is unfortunate that a woman chose to run for President the same time a charismatic black man chose to. I want a woman in power so much I can taste it, but in our patriarchal society, a smart woman still doesn't have a chance against a man no matter what his color is. She comes off as difficult and pushy and strident. (And she may be.) He appears visionary, open-minded and POSSIBLE. And I will probably end up voting for his dreams along with most of the democratic youth of this country. BUT PATRARCHY REMAINS IN PLACE.

2 comments:

Fiiona said...

Ever the anthropologist! Great forward movement today. There will be more footprints, soon. I think your Margaret Meade quote would have been a great headline banner for the site.

Anonymous said...

I am out there and want to get on this thing. Fiona, have we succeeded?