Thursday, February 14, 2008

Take Heart - Valentine's Day

For those of us who are "alone", this day can be a bit awkward. I, for one, won't be getting flowers this year. 
Even though this is a greeting card-contrived event, there is a myth about St. Valentine(after all he was a saint and like all saints stood alone).  He was martyred (was can all sympathize with that plight). It also has to do with wolves. The Christians superimposed the saint's day on a corresponding date in the pagan calendar, the Roman feast of Lupercalia, after Lupa the she wolf who saved Romulus and Remus, the orphaned babies who founded Roman. I am sure y'all can identify with that too.
Meanwhile, I have sent all of our authors who have logged in, a Valentine from Shopfor Museums.com. 
Let's celebrate Valentine's Day with the spirit of Mothers and Martyrs  without whom the world would not have advanced.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I am always a little irritated when this day rolls around and I have no boyfriend. Last year I spent this "holiday" with someone and it was nice ... but still awkward! Romanticized love holds up an ideal that can never be attained - so I've stopped trying.
Today, I slept late. I will probably buy myself some flowers. Why not? And I'll enjoy the clear, sunny day by loving myself and being grateful for all the good things in my life ... like friends!

amanda said...

I am wearing an amethist heart necklace that my brother, Scott, gave to me back... oh, at least during the college years, if not before. It's a valentine from someone who I'll love, and who will love me, forever. And yeah, it's one of those "Hallmark" holidays, but I'm glad Carol pointed out the wolf connection.