Saturday, March 1, 2008

Alone in the desert

Finding oneself after all the hubhub of being the perpetual girl friend, in all of its many forms, seems to appear in alot of women's lives. Interesting, since I have become attuned to this quest I have found alot of historic precedents. Yesterday at Dia.Beacon - the Contemporary Art venue, I saw the work of Agnes Martin. Apparently, she ceased painting for ten years, at midlife, when she moved to the remote desert of new Mexico to build her adobe house. The solitude was a necessity and prelude to engaging by disengaging. She sought the Big horizontal (she was over the mountains).
It's funny that last year at Big Sur I just wanted to stare perpetually at the Big horizontal of the Pacific Ocean. I could have been there alone - but wasn't.
I'll have to go back.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I'd love to go to Big Sur and stare at the Big Horizon. Maybe we can take a CroneTrip out West sometime.