Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Weather or Not

What is it with the way weather affects our moods? I am trying very hard to be cheerful and light-hearted and it feels as though the clouds from the gloomy outside are making their way into my head. I know every day cannot be SunnyDay or HappyDay, but wow, this one is rough. The flowers are out and they are trying their beautiful best to cheer us all up. (It's difficult to be depressed in a path of daffodils and tulips and roses and forsythia, but rarely are we, on any given workday, standing in such a path of petaled loveliness. Unless we work in a flower shop or a garden center.) But there is something to be said for being able to wear sandals, and skirts with no pantyhose, and short sleeve tops, and no coat. Break out the white shoes and linen capris. Then again, maybe the sun needs a break. There is a lot of pressure on the sun – everyone wishing for sunny days for their softball games and weddings and picnics and birthday surprises and jogs with their dogs. Maybe the sun needs some time off. And maybe the clouds need some on-the-job experience. We don't exactly wish for clouds too often, unless there is a ball game we hope will be rained out. I guess it's not too fun being GloomyDay – no one really wants it or asks for it too often. Bummer.

My goal for the day is to be glad to have this GloomyDay. It's overachieving and underappreciated. And having more than once been an overachieving, underappreciated myself, I think it needs to be accepted and – although it's hard to do wearing long pants and a coat and regular shoes with socks – embraced.

2 comments:

Fiiona said...

Your comment about the sun needing a rest reminds me of the Jimmy Dean breakfast ad - with the dad dressed in his Sun costume.
I am grateful for the moment to be somber, however, it is a jolt for those of us who live like plants and respond to the light. When I lived on a farm (back in the 70s) I rose and set with the sun and it was very wholesome and I didn't drink very much and I was never bored - just really tired. The sun will rise again.

Fiiona said...

BOY! the creative energy cycle is sure stuck. This was the quickest way to reach you, fellow crone.
We need to get people on board or on bored, n'est ce-pas?